Wanna be a fit mommy? Want to keep up with the kiddos?
Here are a few things that have helped me, and I know they can help you too!
1. Walk everywhere you can! I’m not just talking about parking far away at Target or the grocery store; I don’t care what anyone says, that’s not gonna cut it. Go out of your way to walk! I have started using my lunch hour to go to a local park and walk 2.25 miles 2 or 3 days a week…it’s free and it’s gorgeous outside right now! When I take Brayden to the park with my husband, we take turns watching Brayden so the other can walk the track (ok, so Brock plays on the swings and I am the one that walks, but still…).
2. Pick a cookbook, and stick with it. Don’t be like me, and bounce around from “The Zone Diet” cookbook, Weight Watchers cookbooks, “The Dukan Diet” book and a few Shape and Self magazine recipes to plan your meals. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, it is all about finding what works for you! Currently, I’m cooking on weekends out of Hungry Girl’s “200 under 200” cookbook and I’m going to make myself stick to it!
3. Work really hard to cut out fast food! If you cannot cut it out 100%, then at least cut it out completely for about 2 or 3 weeks. You need to know you CAN live without it. It forces you to think outside the box for dinners and lunches at home or work. I hate cooking, because I hate preparing for my meals a week ahead of time, but I can tell you that I haven’t eaten fast food in almost 3 weeks, and it’s getting easier to just pass it up. Once a week we eat Subway, but a lot of doctors will tell you it’s actually ok to eat that (everything in moderation peeps). I used to go to Chick Fil A at least 4 days a week and get a grilled chicken salad with fat-free honey mustard dressing, and I swear….I wasn’t keeping the weight off when I was doing that! I was spending almost 7.00 a day on lunch and “maintaining”. No thanks. So just try it…I promise your shorts will fit better!
4. Teach your kiddos that playing outside is fun, and get out there with them! I have to admit, we could be better outdoor activity “teachers” w/Brayden, but we do go out with him and swing and kick the ball around, and we enrolled him in swim lessons, so we can spend lots of time at the pool this summer. This is a work in progress! 🙂
5. Get 30 minutes out of the way, early! I love weekends when I can be at the gym on the elliptical by 7:30-8am with my friend! By 9:00 I am done and have the rest of my day ahead of me to spend with my family. I do not do this during the week, but I try to squeeze in 30 min during the day (like walking at lunch) or getting a quick elliptical session in at the gym here and there. If I absolutely cannot get it in, I will make time right after dinner to use a stationary bike for 30-60 minutes. On weekends I will use the bike when Brayden is napping. And, yes, there are just some days when you can’t make time. That’s ok…but make sure you get the time in the next day. And for all of you vacationers, wake up early and go for a walk, try paddleboarding if you are near an ocean, play beach volleyball. Make it fun!
6. Go shopping after a month and see what size fits you, or see how your clothes lay differently on you. And, while you’re at it, grab a cute pair of shades…because they always make us look good! 🙂
If this was easy, everyone would do it! It’s difficult, especially if you are set in your ways or think you always know what you are talking about. Just know, there’s always room for improvement. God gave us one body and we are supposed to treat it kindly…get to it! 🙂